Wednesday 4 May 2011

May the 4th be with you...

Ok, so I haven't just written this post so I can use that title - although I do like it a lot... (and recommend this link in celebration: The Force Volkswagen ad)

So much has been happening, in the world and in my own life, that each time I thought about blogging it got a bit overwhelming. So I thought I'd do what some say I do best: make a list...

The World List:
  1. Arab Spring - I've blogged on Egypt but since then Libya and Syria, Bahrain and Yemen have also sprung... it's been exasperating watching Iraq mark II happen in Libya and bugger all happen in Syria as far as international responses have been concerned. Stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea and feeling helpless as all we do is watch and read...
  2. Following on from this, if you only read one other blog, please read this one - A Gay Girl In Damascus - that I found via Rachel Shabi on Twitter. It's brilliantly written and has given me an incredible insight into current events in Syria.
  3. Hamas-Fatah reconciliation - hopefully a good thing, at least for the Palestinian people. Israel's typical reaction draws a thin veil over her own unwillingness to move any peace process forward (doesn't the term 'peace process' sound terribly outdated now??)
  4. Death of Bin Laden - a little surreal still, this one. I doubt it's going to make much difference to Islamic fundamentalism or the West's attitude towards the Middle East, which, after all, is largely based on its resources rather than its ideologies...
OK, so that's enough serious world stuff, this blog's been getting ever so political of late and so I want to bring it back tothe personal, which is what I intended it to be from the start.

My Own Life List:

  1. We just got back from another lovely family holiday in Israel. I have managed to get Mark to seriously aim for August 2012 for the big Aliyah date. We'll see...
  2. We nearly bought, then didn't nearly buy, then did nearly buy an off-plan property in Mazkeret Batya. Sof ha sippur, we aren't buying it (it's been a roller-coaster ride folks) but we have decided that we want to live in Mazkeret Batya, and having a particular place to aim for is great motivation.
  3. MY SISTER IS PREGNANT!!!!!!!! - sorry, did I forget to mention that?? we are all very excited, especially now that she has managed to get her head out of the toilet/sick bucket, most of the time....
3 happy ladies in Israel - 2 happy cos they're in Israel, 1 happy cos she's not puking


I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten, but that's for another post. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment